I’ve reached the time in my life where I have to do home maintenance and renovation. I’m not happy about it, it’s severely cutting into my craft time. And it isn’t fun exciting renovation like turning your attic into a spaceshuttle or making your house a cat fortress.
So my dear readers (technically reader – and there’s nothing wrong with reading your own blog) you probably won’t be seeing much from me for a while. I have one thing coming up that is hopefully interesting, but other than that there’s not much. I may try to write up some web/code things I’ve been meaning to do for a while.
You can get things to attach your phone to your tripod for quite cheap, but the shipping for all the ones I was looking at was a couple of weeks and I needed something sooner than that. I’ve tried taping my phone to my tripod before, but to get it secure enough you end up having tape covering the screen on the phone so you can’t compose the shot properly. This is what I came up with and I’m in amazed at how well it works. None of the screen is covered over and it’s secure enough that I can tip the tripod head up so it can go into portrait view as well.
It’s made from stuff around the house and was really quick to do. The materials are:
The wood I used was old trellis. The gap between the two long bits is the slot where the phone sits and the gap between the shorter joining bits is where the screw from the tripod plate goes. Once they were attached I covered over it in duct tape. Partly to stop it scratching my phone and also because the nails I used were way too long so I had to bend them over and they were a little dangerous.
The tripod plate is taped to the bottom of the mount. Once that’s clipped into the tripod you can put the phone in and use rubber bands to hold it on (see the photo at the top of this post). The downside of this is that you need to tape it to the tripod plate every time you want to use it, but it was just meant to be a quick solution where I didn’t have to go and buy anything. If you wanted to make one that was more reusable you could fit it with a socket like the one on the bottom of cameras. You can buy ones that are made for tripods so they have the right thread, I bought one years ago but I can’t remember where from. It was in pre-online shopping times, when you had to go to actual shops to get things.
Miss Zombie 2014 feels education is important to fully develop children’s brains. Proving she isn’t shallow she also prefers brains over beauty. When asked how she felt about her victory she replied with a delighted “grrrr”, the most articulate contestant to ever come out of this competition.
I recently bought a playsuit online (for anyone who is wondering, a playsuit is a like a one-piece jumpsuit but with shorts). I realised when I got it that it wasn’t great quality, I had to unpick and re-sew one of the straps because it was twisted. But I wanted to give it a go, and I have become quite attached to it. It’s not that I look particularly good in it or anything like that, I think the main reason I like it is that it’s called a playsuit. Something about the idea of being so serious about play that you have a special suit for it appeals to me.
I was unsure what to do when I realised it was falling apart at the seams after not much use. I wasn’t ready to give up on play and I hate shopping so didn’t want to look for a replacement. The issue with it is that the fabric is really weak and frays easily so it pulls apart at the seams. Even if it had been made with deeper seams I think it still would’ve happened because the fabric is so fragile.
To fix it I had to sew the seam in a bit further in all the places where it had started pulling open. I knew if I just left it like that it would happen again very quickly so I used fabric tape on the inside of the seams as well. My hope is that by using the tape it will take the pressure off the seams and put it onto the tape instead. It means a couple of lines of visible sewing either side of the seam, which isn’t ideal but I don’t think it looks too bad. I also put an extra line of tape going across the inside of the hems where the seams were, this was where most of the ripping had been.
I don’t know if the seams will hold, so it’s definitely become a high risk outfit for me, I will take the precaution of making sure I wear good underwear with it.
I’m really viewing this as a test because if it works it could be something to do to other clothes that have this type of fabric, preferably before they start ripping. I will update this post with my findings, so stay tuned. And if you see me wearing my playsuit and hear a ripping noise I hope you will be understanding and do your best to look past whatever I may be exposing and respect that I was willing to take risks with my sewing experiments.
Today was pancake day and a new cocktail was invented. It contains:
Canadian Club whiskey
Bacon (finely chopped for rimming the glass)
You can figure out the quantities yourself, it’s a pretty relaxed drink.
Pancake day is a wonderful new day which was made in honour of having an excess of maple syrup. People arrived, pancakes were eaten, after a while a shot of syrup was drunk and then mixing it with alcohol seemed the obvious next step. Syrup, whiskey and lemon was found to work very well together, but it needed something else. We wanted it to be more canadian.
Grinding bacon into a powder for rimming the glass was an ingenious idea from Tam, who happens to be vegetarian so was unable to experience the beauty of what she had created. Unfortunately powdering bacon wasn’t something we could do so it was finely chopped instead. Getting the bacon to stick isn’t easy because of the grease, it would be good to find a way to get it to be drier. We used maple syrup on the rim first to help the bacon stay on.