Playsuit repair attempt

Left shows the fabric tape sewn into the seam. A second line goes over the join in the hem. Right shows the reinforced seam and hem from the outside.
Left shows the fabric tape sewn into the seam, a second line goes across the join inside the hem. Right shows the reinforced seam and hem from the outside.

I recently bought a playsuit online (for anyone who is wondering, a playsuit is a like a one-piece jumpsuit but with shorts). I realised when I got it that it wasn’t great quality, I had to unpick and re-sew one of the straps because it was twisted. But I wanted to give it a go, and I have become quite attached to it. It’s not that I look particularly good in it or anything like that, I think the main reason I like it is that it’s called a playsuit. Something about the idea of being so serious about play that you have a special suit for it appeals to me.

One of the many areas where the seam had started to pull open
One of the many areas where the seam had started to pull open

I was unsure what to do when I realised it was falling apart at the seams after not much use. I wasn’t ready to give up on play and I hate shopping so didn’t want to look for a replacement. The issue with it is that the fabric is really weak and frays easily so it pulls apart at the seams. Even if it had been made with deeper seams I think it still would’ve happened because the fabric is so fragile.

To fix it I had to sew the seam in a bit further in all the places where it had started pulling open. I knew if I just left it like that it would happen again very quickly so I used fabric tape on the inside of the seams as well. My hope is that by using the tape it will take the pressure off the seams and put it onto the tape instead. It means a couple of lines of visible sewing either side of the seam, which isn’t ideal but I don’t think it looks too bad. I also put an extra line of tape going across the inside of the hems where the seams were, this was where most of the ripping had been.

I don’t know if the seams will hold, so it’s definitely become a high risk outfit for me, I will take the precaution of making sure I wear good underwear with it.

I’m really viewing this as a test because if it works it could be something to do to other clothes that have this type of fabric, preferably before they start ripping. I will update this post with my findings, so stay tuned. And if you see me wearing my playsuit and hear a ripping noise I hope you will be understanding and do your best to look past whatever I may be exposing and respect that I was willing to take risks with my sewing experiments.